If you're working for an Enterprise with your workloads based purely on VMware vSphere, then there's a new launch from Unitrends that you may be interested in looking at for your virtual backup / business continuity solution that I have learned about.
vBE (short for VM Backup Essentials), converges enterprise-grade backup software, ransomware detection, and cloud continuity into a powerful, easy-to-use, all-in-one platform boasting the following features:
- Total Protection – No limits on the number of virtual machines that can be protected on a host
- No License Tiering – No tiering of licenses based on the number of cores in the CPU socket.
- Only License what you need! – Only occupied sockets require a license, but ALL occupied sockets of the host must be licensed to protect its virtual machines.
- Infinite retention!– Retention is directly proportional to the amount of storage that can be provided by the customer for backup. The license has no limits on retention.
- Replication to the Cloud – Site-to-site replication is not supported at this time. vBE does support replication to the cloud – both hyperscale clouds such as AWS, Google and Rackspace as well as clouds purpose-built for DRaaS services.
- Advanced Ransomware Protection– New ransomware variants are emerging every day and your ransomware protection needs to evolve to keep up.
Unitrends are billing vBE as an “all-in-one solution” that provides a disruptive approach to backup. It offers complete vertical integration (including the cloud), fast time to value and an all-in-one solution provided by a single vendor with industry-leading customer service. vBE includes all the software and features you would find in an enterprise-level data protection and recovery solution. vBE includes operating system, security, backup software, WAN acceleration, replication, cloud integration, and archiving.
Lost file recovery is one of the most common tasks performed by IT on an emergency basis and can chew up many hours of time. vBE offers easy file recovery, apparently taking less than five minutes to recover a lost file, from login to full restoration. The UI is easy and intuitive enough that any member of IT can recover a lost file without having to consult a manual or receive special training.
Ease of configuration is also a big focus for vBE, allowing all aspects of protection to be set using an advanced, intelligent feature called SLA policy automation. vBE’s SLA Policy automation intelligently sets a backup schedule based on RTO and RPO goals. Built-in one-glance, one-click dashboards and reports are provided to keep users fully up-to-date on the health and status of their backup and continuity strategy.
The cloud is an ideal way to ensure geographic resilience, especially those without a secondary location that need to protect copies of their data. vBE easily manages protection for VMware workloads in hyperscale clouds such as Google or AWS. However anyone that has worked with hyperscale clouds knows it can be complex and very expensive. vBE has its own purpose-built continuity cloud designed for long-term retention and DRaaS, as well as great integration with AWS and Google.
vBE is licensed for $105 per socket, making it a very competitive option. The base prices include one year of 24x7x365 support with an annual renewal available. Even better though, Unitrends offer a 30-day free trial from the vBE product homepage: https://www.unitrends.com/products/vm-backup-essentials, which should provide ample opportunity to evaluate it.
Disclaimer: The information in this post was provided as a blogger release, which I felt had merit in sharing as everyone needs reliable backups and they shouldn't be complex or cost the earth!! I have not received any payment or other consideration for posting this.